Hike to Kalinchowk | Report

Published on: Apr 03 2017 by hikingclub


On 24th February 2017, DWIT Hiking Club, led by President Prayush Shrestha, the hiking team consisting of 13 people geared up for a hike of their lifetime to Kalinchowk Bhagawati. Kalinchowk had gained popularity among Nepali and tourists alike in the recent times and I was certainly lucky to be selected as one of the hikers.

We were instructed by the Hiking Club to arrive at the College Premises at early 5:45 am, but due to some unavoidable circumstances, we were delayed for an hour. Finally at 7 PM, the Micro bus full of 13 excited hikers left the college. We were told that we’d be either hiking or Riding our way to the destination depending on how soon we arrive to Charikot.

We had breakfast at Kerabari, Dhulikhel at around 9 AM. The scenery was something to behold as we travelled to our destination. After few hours of travelling, the road started to deteriorate and travelling wasn’t as comfortable as it was before, but that didn’t stop us from having fun. We danced and sang our way to an abandoned Quarry. Pictures were taken, Memories were captured. Without wasting anymore time, we proceeded towards Charikot. We stopped to eat at a local restaurant, where we switched vehicles.  The road from Charikot to Kuri Village was treacherous. The road was dusty, and the unfortunate people that had to stay in the trunk of the Jeep (Bolero) suffered a massive sandstorm. But even that didn’t stop us from playing cards and having fun. What a bunch of touch, high spirited fellows we were. Hah!

We finally reached Kuri Village at about 4 pm. You could still see Snow at the hills, and for someone like me who had never seen snow in their entire life, it was paradise. We rushed to our Hotel (Diki Hotel), freshened up and ran towards the hills. It felt great to play with the snow, throwing snowballs at each other and climbing even higher hills. It was an amazing experience to say the least. After some sightseeing and capturing amazing photographs, we returned to our hotel.


That evening we had a BBQ party, and it was the most memorable time of the hike. We divided ourselves into 2 groups to play dumsaraj game. Even though I was playing the game for the first time, I had a swell experience. The Barbeque at the end was delicious. To sum that day, it was perfect in every way.


DAY 2:


The next morning I woke up to a shocking revelation. My shoe was carried away by a dog last night, and I had only one Shoe left. Looking for the dog was out of the picture, so I requested a slippers from the Hotel owner, and she was kind enough to lend me one. Everyone complained that they couldn’t sleep properly, most be because of altitude and cold. But we were all very energized to reach our destination, the Kalinchowk Bhagawati Temple. Slowly and gracefully we scaled the  hill to reach the temple. The atmosphere at the place was amazing, it was neither too hot nor too cold, just the perfect weather. Kalinchowk Temple offers a brilliant view of the rising sun, and we were very fortunate to have a clear weather on that day. We captured the memories in photographs and decided that it was time to return back to our hotel. We had breakfast and prepared for our return trip to “Makaibari”, where our vehicle was ready and waiting to take us back home. Before I left, I searched the entire Kuri Village for my lost shoe, but to no avail. I was to walk all the hiking trail on slippers.


We started our journey at 9 am, the hiking trail was still pretty difficult, but our expert guides were able to avoid the road by following the electricity lines. The road was pretty difficult at times, but we supported each other and overcame all the obstacles. The weather was pretty cool, so walking wasn’t a problem. We walked down a pretty isolated path through the jungle and witnessed amazing things. It was truly beautiful. By stopping for snacks and sightseeing, we finally reached Makaibari at 2 pm. Everyone gathered and sighed in relief. We went back to the restaurant in Charikot and started our journey back home. The ride back home wasn’t as fun as when we were coming this way, because we were too tired to move. The bumpy road made it impossible to sleep. Thanks to our Driver Dai’s pretty dangerous, yet fast driving, we managed to reach Kathmandu before it was too late.  We bid each other farewell, as everyone went home, loaded with memories that will stay in their heart, forever.


Report by -Abhushan Gautam